Two of the most cost effective ways to enjoy great tasting water is with a bottled water cooler or a reverse osmosis (RO) drinking water system.
Reverse osmosis is the process by which water molecules are forced through a semi-permeable membrane under pressure. The membrane in a Culligan® RO System filters out any impurities smaller than one micron. Reverse osmosis systems filter water for a variety of applications, including homes, commercial sites such as restaurants and hotels, breweries, car washes, and even the space shuttle!
Household RO systems typically filter water using the following steps:
- First, raw tap water flows through a sediment filter to remove dirt, rust and other solid objects.
- The water then flows into a carbon filter which removes 98% of the chlorine and organic chemicals.
- The next stop is the reverse osmosis membrane which separates up to 99% of the dissolved contaminants from the water molecules. These removed impurities are rinsed down the drain leaving behind only pure, clean water.
- This water is stored in a reservoir tank, typically located underneath the sink, and is accessed through a faucet on your sink or ice dispenser in your refrigerator.
- The final step involves pushing water through a carbon block polishing filter accessed through a special faucet on your sink or refrigerator dispenser before it reaches your glass.
Reverse osmosis removes more contaminants than other carbon, faucet or pitcher systems. RO systems can remove nitrates, sodium, and other dissolved inorganic and organic compounds that other systems can miss. A Culligan Drinking Water System puts clean, refreshing water right in your kitchen. With a range of compact and attractive designs, our systems fit conveniently in out-of-the-way places.